
Yup-I know I am strange in many ways. And I love all kinds of cheeses. I grew up in Cache Valley, where cheese making has been a way of life there for many decades. Now, I know that just being raised there doesn't make one automatically love the stuff, but it provided many happy and interesting memories for me when I was young. My dad used to take me out to the cheese factory in Amalga (just a few miles from my house) for an ice cream cone and it was the most wonderful place. It was decorated like a quaint Swiss village. . . with mice everywhere. You walked up the stairs. To the right was a gift shop area with refrigerators that sold everything that could go with cheese. The back of the large room had the ice cream. To the right, all along the wall was a long table with domed sample plates of CHEESE! Many different kinds that you could nibble on while you worked on your cone. To the left of the entrance to the gift shop was a long flight of stairs. It led you up to an observation window looking down over some of the workings of the factory. What fun!
The factory is still there, but after a fiery explosion and company buyouts, it has changed quite a bit. The Cache Valley brand name still exists, but it's just not the same. No more gift shop. Of course there is Gossner's cheese in Logan. It has always been there, and now has a booming shop of cheese seconds, butter, ice cream, flavored milk in juice boxes and cheese curd! We hardly take a visit to the valley without stopping there.
Now I have found my new favorite. The kids and I visited Rockhill Creamery in Richmond a few weeks ago. The little farm was fantastic. I am so incredibly jealous. We went on a Saturday morning during the farmer's market where a few local folks were selling their homemade goods and homegrown produce. And of course, there was cheese. We saw the Brown Swiss cows, the cheese cave, the new twin calves, sampled great cheese and everyone was so friendly. I highly recommend it if you are going through Richmond. Their feta is delicious! Check it out at http://rockhillcheese.com
As I write this, I am thinking of all the little stories in my head that relate to cheese. How weird is that!! :)

4 comments:
Cheese, cheese glorious cheese, yep its always been my favorite. I'll have to make it to Richmond. Sounds delicious
...and cheese STORIES are not weird. It would be fun to hear ALL of them. Tell a cheesy cheese story to your kids tonight! I love it Dana...of course this is coming from a storyteller:-)
Cheese is the bomb!! Love anything from Gossner's!!
We also make a stop at Gossner's every summer when we are in Logan. Yummy. Jared used to work at Cache Valley Cheese when we first married.
I am so kicking myself right now...I thought I had you on my little thing that notifies me of a new post and apparently not, I have been missing out on your whole life...I am putting you on right now, so I don't miss out on any more...but I am going to see you tomorrow...can't wait!!!
Post a Comment